[Bf-committers] Mac OS 10.7+ for Blender 2.8

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Oct 4 22:59:21 CEST 2016

Xcode 8 is currently showing this warning. So it's not clear how long
Apple will even officially support building for 10.8.

clang: warning: libstdc++ is deprecated; move to libc++ with a minimum
deployment target of OS X 10.9

Apple support for 10.9 ended last month, 10.8 a year before that, so
those are not even getting security updates anymore. Firefox and
Chrome have 10.9 as minimum requirement, and I think the same or
higher is required for a lot of other major software. Blender 2.8
would be released a year or more from now, so we would be the
exception in still supporting 10.7.

The one issue I personally found with 10.7 was an SDK bug that makes
building Python 3.5 fail. I tried to solve it for a few hours but
didn't find a solution yet. It's probably not a showstopper but if we
decide to use 10.8 or higher I won't spend more time trying to fix it.

I don't know of any other serious issues, though inevitably we'd
encounter some in the future. Personally I wouldn't want to spend time
debugging OpenGL issues on e.g. 10.7 or 10.8, but maybe you're up for
it :)