[Bf-committers] "Blender, an appraisal from a first time user"

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 05:32:28 CET 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Mikhail Rachinskiy
<wellmaderice at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ton,
>
> 1) Meaningless tooltips
>
> The "System info" menu has as tooltip "Generate system info". That's
>> insufficient. It leaves very relevant information to the notifier button
>> that's very easy too miss.
>

> The problem is not in the tooltip, it’s in the implementation of the
> “System info” itself.
> In any other program when you choose “About” or “System Information”
> a window pops up with all relevant information.
> In Blender you choose “System Info” → then you change area type to Text
> Editor → then you select text data block from the list in the Text Editor
> header.
> Isn’t that over complicated for a simple “Sys Info” option?
>
> Solution:
> Make it behave similar to “User Preferences” option: when you choose “Sys
> Info” menu the new window pops up with “Text Editor” and sys-info datablock
> already selected.
> And no tooltip is required.

Theres a bug on Intel cards we had reported many times where opening
new windows crashes (search tracker for "preferences crash").
Even though it's fixed for new cards/drivers, this menu-items main
purpose if for bug reports - so I rather not do anything that could
cause crashes, even in very rare cases.

We could open a file selector and prompt the user to save to disk,
this has the advantage that users are more likely to attach the file
to reports instead of copy-pasting into the reports text-field, adding
a lot of noise to reports.