[Bf-committers] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Vicente Carro vicentecarro at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 14:46:23 CET 2016

> > If Blender is really thinking about an industry/pipeline oriented release
> > then this discussion makes no sense. FBX is shit but we need it.
> >
> > Vicente
>
> https://www.khronos.org/gltf
>
> Under "Industry Support for glTF". It seems like the industry cares
> about glTF as well.

They are talking about the future. Most of the comments are in future
tense, mentioning "the future" or that they are collaborating with the
"development". And please don't get me wrong, I completely agree that
Blender should support at least one of these new formats. But not instead
of FBX.

When you see glTF(or the others) in this list ( http://www.vfxplatform.com/
), then we talk. Meanwhile is a very promising thing that is not there yet.
(note: Those guys are the ones that in fact set the standard in the VFX
industry. And FBX is in the list.)

Even if I cannot disclosure the details I can tell you that a recent AAA
movie (punctually) used Blender precisely because it was importing FBX
better than Maya. And guess what, the team started to think about using
Blender more seriously in the next film. So, IMHO, having a good FBX
support is good for Blender and should stay until the industry actually
changes to another format.