[Bf-committers] macrovellum's fluid designer for linux

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 05:07:31 CET 2015

Hi,

>> Once Blender has finished documenting this then we will provide a Linux
build

That is true, but you can't really have it finished. It changes every so
often actually so it's hard to have step-by-step reproduceable instructions
of how to reproduce up-to-date release environment. However, there is some
documentation which should be good enough for the starting point.

>> When building for any Linux Distribution we need to statically link all
of the libraries that Blender uses

Static linking is actually highly discouraged by all the main Linux distors
in favor of linking against shared libraries provided by the packages. So
if you know, for example, you're aiming latest Ubuntu you can easily do it
by simply compiling blender on the system where only packages from the
distro are installed. The only reason Blender is using special environment
is because we want single binary to be runnable on all the machines up to
10 years old, which requires special tricks to make it all working, mainly
due to libc library.

I would also mention here that i wrote notes about how i set up original
Linux release environment there [1]. There is even setup script which i
tried to keep up to date to certain point, for until it became real hassle
to maintain. It could easily be used for the starting point [2].

>> They don’t provide a list of all of the libraries that need to be linked

We do have same exact configuration used for release builds and buildbot
builds, so you can easily get configuration used for the release from SCons
configs [3].

>> is it possible someway to help "macrovellum" release the linux version
of "fluid designer"

Why not ask them to contact us directly?

[1] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Nazg-gul/LinuxBuildbotEnvironment
[2]
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/master/build_files/build_environment/prepare_release_env.sh
[3]
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/master/build_files/buildbot/config/

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM, lansha graphics <lanshagraphics at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> hello, i hope that i write to the right address.
> i contacted "microvellum" about the release of "fluid designer" for linux,
> and thats the answer i've received:
>
> "Unfortunately we were never able to get the Linux Build working because
> Blender doesn’t provide complete documentation on how redistribute a Linux
> version. Once Blender has finished documenting this then we will provide a
> Linux build. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you would like you can compile
> the source code yourself by following the steps below."
>
> and afterwards, to my question if "fluid designer" can be ported at least
> for ubuntu:
>
> "When building for any Linux Distribution we need to statically link all
> of the libraries that Blender uses, and they don’t provide a list of all of
> the libraries that need to be linked. We will continue to try to figure out
> all of the necessary libraries that Blender uses. Once we have a working
> Linux version we will let you know."
>
> is it possible someway to help "macrovellum" release the linux version of
> "fluid designer" - windows and mac users can already benefit from that
> program and linux users can not!
>
> thanks,
> sincerely, N.T.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin