[Bf-committers] New Modifier : Morph Target

patrick boelens p_boelens at msn.com
Tue May 27 21:47:47 CEST 2014

Ah,  I can see why having morphs apply after posing could be very useful. =) If that is the use-case though, wouldn't it make more sense to just have a "shapekey modifier" that lets you select a shapekey and use that data for the morph?

Apologies if I'm missing something, but the way I'm envision MTM right now it does two (arguably unrelated) things:

- Allow morphing the mesh at any level in the modifier stack.
- Allow morphing from one mesh to another.

The first is undoubtably a very welcome addition; I have seen the light and am convinced of that now! =)

But the second option almost feels like a separate feature to me? While number one could be achieved with pretty much the "current system" (i.e.: target a shapekey), number two can not. Perhaps I'm envisioning the wrong use-case for this, but what if you made option two dependant on shapekeys as well? I.e.: In addition to the target (control object), have a field that allows you to select a shapekey from that target object. If the target object has no shapekeys it can default to the mesh as-is (like an implicit "Basis" key).

Maybe I'm being pedantic now though (if so, please call me out on it!), but in my mind this feels a bit "cleaner" and like it's introducting less "clutter" in the sense of new features/ workflow. I.e.: a mesh morphs from shapekeys only, not shapekeys or meshes (or ...).

Another 2 cents in the tip jar,
Patrick