[Bf-committers] New Modifier : Morph Target

k k kkmlist at yandex.com
Tue May 27 22:33:27 CEST 2014

Patrick

Have you watched the 2 videos I provided in the op? They barely touch the general use cases.

Basically "Allow morphing from one mesh to another." is not a mundane trick. It can be used creatively for modelling purposes(or animation). For example you can sculpt changes on a copy of the mesh while you see the the sculpt additions in realtime on your "main" mesh. The main mesh can have various modifiers/mesh targets via multiple morph modifiers and the sculpted mesh can have various modifiers (except multires/remesh type) and even other MTMS , while being able to mix all these different results in realtime (even  in  sculpt mode) with weights maps and such. I believe that is very neat.

SK cannot show you results of another mesh's responding look on the main mesh in realtime, you have to manually transfer changes and turn them into shapekeys etc and still it wont be as powerful as a modifier like MTM, at least that is my take.

You need to create your shapekeys one by one in edit mode, and while you are in edit mode you neither can see other keys looks nor you can do mixing. That is also possible with MTM. With MTM you cna have a big palette of shapes and keep mixing in realtime without relying on static tools.

Btw sculpt changes normally does not happen due to missing depgraph flag(based on my conversations with other devs). However you can force changes by just adding a dummy modifier like smooth mode with very small effect, say 0.0001 on your sculpted target mesh. This forces a scene update.(in the video I forgot to do that trick :))

I hope it helps.

cheers

kursad