[Bf-committers] Patch [#36028] New 4-column layout for the editor-type-selector menu...

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 16:45:46 CEST 2013

I still think this has nothing to do with the list being too large.

The order of the items on the list changes depending on whether
it pops up or down, so we can't just remember them visually by
location.  And the order is non-visual so we have to do a linear
scan instead of a binary one.  We have to read almost all the
items almost all the damn time.

If we didn't do the swap, we could have any arrangement of
items and it wouldn't matter much because they would stay
in the same place. "3D View" would always be at the top, and
the item that is 1/3 down would always be there.

Make the order *alphabetical* and we can then do a binary
scan to find the items instead of a linear one. Combine the two
and we could make the list much longer and we could still find
items in it faster that we do now.

Cheers, Harley