[Bf-committers] Patch [#36028] New 4-column layout for the editor-type-selector menu...

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Sun Jul 7 11:53:28 CEST 2013

I realize that i use only a certain part of blender.
So what about trying to solve the problem of
"too big menus" generically via customization?

I know this is nothing that can be done on a weekend.
But i also believe that thinking about solutions should
not be ruled by "can be done quickly" arguments.

So what about allowing users to customize as follows:

- remove entries from the menus
- allow changing the order of entries
- And still keep a quick access to "all" entries

Here is a mockup i made with an image editor:

     http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=55048

* When user clicks on the "C" icon, a custom menu editor
    opens up. There users can add/remove entries from
    the menu as wanted. They further can move entries
    up and down (change order)

* When user clicks on the "All" icon, then all hidden
    entries show up maybe marked with a slightly different
    background so the extra entries can be identified easily.
    The "hidden" entries could be mixed into the list,
    Or collected at top/bottom of the menu ,
    or in a 2nd column...

* User can switch back to custom setting by clicking
    on the All icon again (ok, maybe the name is bad)

* This could be used in all menus. Or maybe only in
    menus having more than a certain number of entries.

* In theory this could also allow to add other operators
    to the custom menu.

The customization can be stored with the blend file or
stored with the user preferences.

-gaia-