[Bf-committers] Patch [#36028] New 4-column layout for the editor-type-selector menu...

Julian Herzog julian.hzg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 11:43:49 CEST 2013

I find all new layouts proposed to be a big improvement over the current
long list that is, in my opinion, too long to scan efficiently when looking
for a window type. I'm always annoyed about myself taking 5 seconds to find
the right one in there.

These two here seem to be the best ones to me, the left one could possibly
turned upside down so that the commons window types are at the left bottom:
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=55034
Then again, distance from the button shouldn't be an issue - once you know
where the button is, the mouse is there in a fraction of a second anyway.

I also don't think titles over the categories would be bad, because you can
only really memorize where which window type is found if you know what the
categories contain. I never even noticed they were in categories already
until now, but because they aren't described (and the lines are very thin),
so they have no positive effect right now. This could also be a user
preference setting imo.