[Bf-committers] Minimal Blender specs - 5 year old systems & OS

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 00:59:06 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Chad Fraleigh <chadf at triularity.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Thomas Dinges <blender at dingto.org> wrote:
>> I can only fully agree with this.
>> It becomes a pain to support old systems, especially Windows XP and old
>> GPUs.
>>
>> Not only do we support hardware / software longer than other 3D
>> software, as Blender is free people can also always stick to an older
>> version.
>
> A question then.. if some older versions use bundled libs with
> security bugs in them, how do they use blender on old hardware without
> the risk of being hacked (perhaps just from opening an image file)?

They would have to build (or get someone to build) an older blender
version linking to newer libs.
This shouldn't be too hard, I still have 2.49 building on arch linux
with recent libs.

> Also, I'm a little iffy on assuming large screen resolutions (as that
> is just realestate, not a technical support issue). If developers just
> assume larger and larger screens, then they tend to waste/abuse it.
> Has anyone here ever used the AWS console.. one of their windows
> *assumes* people have a large screen and some apply/confirm buttons
> are placed at the bottom (with NO vertical scrollbar) even though
> there is a big gap of space above them. I have to open it in it's own
> window since the tabs in my browser make my content window just small
> enough not to be able to reach these buttons. Also in general, I don't
> run my windows maximized -- this isn't DOS with one app at a time (or
> the same effect by taking over the entire screen). I have to shrink my
> blender window down some every time I start it so I can see some of my
> other windows (I guess there is a way to change that default, maybe,
> but I haven't searched very hard to find it yet).

Blender's interface scrolls/zooms quite well, The screen-size is more
a suggestion for optimal use then something enforced.

Saving user defaults with resized window will reopen the window at
that size on my system, I think blender does this on all platforms.

> I'm not saying old hardware should be supported forever, but don't
> assume "if newer hardware can do it that users use it that way".

Yep, there was talk of having profiles for blender to better support
different screen/input/hardware configurations IIRC.

--
- Campbell