[Bf-committers] Jack audio lib inclusion

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 09:36:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

This is NOT possible to include jack statically -- you'll screw up the
whole Jack design doing this and it's likely just wouldn't work in most of
cases. The only way is to weak-link Jack. This is already done for OSX.

O linux it's a bit more complicated. I didn't find a proper way to
weak-link jack, so on linux dlopen is used to check whether Jack is
available and dlsym to get needed symbols. This was done in svn rev55616.

So basically on linux it'll check whether Jack client library is installed
in the system and if so will allow you to choose Jack in user preferences,
but you REALLY need to use your system's Jack client library, not link it
statically or so.

This changes are available in 2.67-RC so you could test whether this works
for you or not :)

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Juan Pablo Bouza <jpbouza at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys! I just write to propose that Jack lib should be included
> statically in blender releases.
> I know that this has already been discussed on IRC, but I think Nexyon did
> a great job at porting jack into blender and it's just not fair that this
> feature is left outside of the reach of people who don't compile blender.
> If I'm not wrong, Jack also works on mac, and now it also does on windows.
> This is just a great tool for video editing and audio based animation.
> I know that maybe not all blender users will use this, but by not having
> the lib included by default we are depriving many people to even try it.
>
> Personally, I use Blender synced with  Ardour for video editting. If
> someone thinks that this is not a combination to be taken seriously as a
> powerful tool, I have to say that I'm editing a full length commercial
> feature film with it. And the workflow is just great.
>
> Well, It would be cool to support this, as a way of supporting other
> interrelated open source projects too.
>
> See you!

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin