[Bf-committers] Regarding sticky coordinates removal from blender

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 00:34:38 CEST 2012

@Lockal,

Cameras really shouldn't be scaled - when you scale a camera it won't
render scaled, so UV project is correct in this case.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Lockal S <lockalsash at gmail.com> wrote:
> Project from view ignores the scale and aspect of camera. Additional
> uv tweaking is needed to match the scale of original image.
>
> The other potential replacement could be adding and applying UvProject
> modifier on the special uv layer, however it distorts uvs in
> perspective mode.

Can you expand on this? - not sure what you mean.

>  Also it doesn't take image aspect into account
> (default aspect is (1, 1)). And even after fixing distortion in
> uvproject modifier there are still problems:
The aspect is 1:1 but its a setting that can be modified. Adding an
option to use the scenes aspect can be done easily, though it does
create a tricky dependency (changing scene aspect would need to update
modifiers).

> 1) No replacement in do_versions provided
Since this has been hidden for so long, my assumption was that users
were not accessing.

> 2) No changes in documentation and release notes
Yep. this needs doing.

> 3) Even then Spacebar menu -> Add sticky is easier than going to
> modifiers panel, adding Uv project modifier, setting image, setting
> aspect, setting camera and clicking apply after each geometry change.

I see your point but dont think its an argument for keeping sticky -
such a tool can be added as an operator accessible from C, or a macro
/ py script.
eg - http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/uv_project_apply.py

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Nate Wiebe <natewiebe13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unless I'm missing out on something, using project from view uvs is a
>> better solution and works with cycles.

- Campbell