[Bf-committers] Flame Simulator

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:46:08 CET 2012

@patrick:

> Lukas, you mentioned a physics overhaul being planned. I remember some time ago reading about possibly using an existing library like PhysBAM [1] for this. I don't know what was eventually decided on this (if anything), but while this would be a major undertaking, perhaps making a start at integrating something like this could be a viable option for the project?

I have not yet looked at the actual PhysBAM code yet, so i may be way
off, but to me it seems like PhysBAM would not make solution of
current problems in Blender any easier. What i was referring to is the
current inability to use different physics sims on different objects
together in a reliable way (i will explain this in a blog post in
detail). The depsgraph refactor will solve a large part of this, but
iterative simulations have their own issues that are not handled well
by an animation-based update system.

If we wanted to integrate PhysBAM into Blender it would not solve any
of the depsgraph and synchronization problems and in fact just add a
whole new pile of work on the integration side. Every physics system
needs to be able to understand Blender mesh structures and other scene
stuff, which at least is already kind of working for existing systems.