[Bf-committers] Flame Simulator

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:16:04 CEST 2012

Hi Scott and Scott,

Wow, this project was my earliest attempt at getting something working
in Blender source code, about 3 years ago ;)

I haven't been working on it since then and i don't intend to. I
wouldn't mind you picking up the code or just learning from my
mistakes of course, but unfortunately i don't think i have the code
around any more. You may still find some horribly outdated patch on
the interwebs if you're lucky.

However, i'm not convinced any longer of the usefulness of this
feature. It's a very specialized way of making fire effects and with
all the marvelous improvements the smoke simulation in Blender it is a
much more versatile tool for the purpose [2]. The original technique i
tried implementing was already quite dated back then (paper from 2005
iirc).

There are a lot of other todo items that would have greater long-term
benefit for Blender [1]. For instance we intend to make a major
overhaul of the general way physics simulations in Blender work
together. Also the dependency graph is scheduled for refactoring,
which will have a great impact on animation and simulations. Though
these are both large projects which can not be handled by individual
developers alone, because of sheer scale and because they will affect
many different areas of the code.

If you would prefer to work on a feature with more limited scope i'm
sure we can find a more self-contained feature you could work on that
would be both suitable for a student project and have real value for
Blender users in the future. For reference i suggest you take a look
at the kind of projects that have been worked on for Google Summer of
Code (GSOC) in this and previous years ([3], [4]). I would appreciate
if other developers and mentors could chime in.

Regards,
Lukas Tönne

[1] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Development/Todo
[2] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:MiikaH/GSoC-2012-Smoke-Simulator-Improvements