[Bf-committers] Disassembled Blender

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Oct 10 00:32:17 CEST 2012

I've looked at generated assembly code to understand what the compiler
is doing, and it can be a guide when tweaking performance critical
code, but it's not a good idea to actually edit the assembly code
manually. For one it's not portable, different CPU architectures have
different assembly, and the compiler is often smarter than you think.

There's lots of optimization possibilities on the C/C++ code level
still, many more than we will ever get to, so there's not much reason
to start optimizing assembly instructions. Nearly all of those
optimizations can be achieved by tweaking the C/C++ code anyway.

Brecht.