[Bf-committers] Disassembled Blender

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 00:37:51 CEST 2012

Hi Dwight,

Not as far as I know, the way I've used assembly in blender is just to
check code is correctly optimized out, or to verify that some change
is actually reducing the compiled output as intended.

We have a lot of room for improvement by making parts of the code
threaded and improving the algorithms too, so if your looking to
optimize in general there are likely higher level areas that can be
improved.

But if you like to check this low level stuff - it could be helpful,
just need to figure out the best areas to check/optimize...

Some suggestions off hand where some low level magic might help...

- frequent called math functions (math_*.c), matrix multiply,
normalize, color conversions from float to bytes for eg, (any pixel
operations really),...
- the new compositor, (COM_*.cpp files) speedups with common
operations here too?
- frequent called code in bmesh (perhaps bmesh_iterators.c or
BLI_mempool.c's iterator)
- low level library functions - BLI_ghash.c (used a lot and not sure
its been profiled for speedups much already)

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Dwight Hutto <dwightdhutto at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a question in an earlier thread about disassembled Blender. I'm
> not new to Assembly, but just a little naive.
>
> Has anyone ever tried to disassemble, and optimize instructions given
> by the compilers to the processors instruction set(cycle count)?
>
> If not, is this a good project to work on?
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> David Hutto
> CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com