[Bf-committers] Reference counting, deleting data and fake users

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Tue Mar 20 01:44:38 CET 2012

Hi Aligorith,
I think the data-loss aspect of this is more important that solution
elegance or system consistency.  I agree that simply reverting to
having actions having fake users by default is not a good long-term
solution.  But unless we can guarantee that we will have a good
solution in the very next release (2.63) then IMO we need to revert
back as a stop-gap solution while we figure out a better long-term
strategy.

The data-loss aspect of this is too important to be ignored for another release.

I am definitely interested in the patch you mention.  Can you give a
brief outline of how it would affect action management and address
this problem?

In the end, I still feel like the long-term solution is to change
Blender's user-facing data management model to something less
garbage-collection oriented.  But that's obviously a long way off, and
so we'll need something else in the short/mid-term.

--Nathan