[Bf-committers] Reference counting, deleting data and fake users

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:15:08 CET 2012

There are many ideas fitting to the current system as well. If a
datablock has only one user, it is safe to provide an extra option
"delete". I think this is doable even now? We can also provide a
cleanup datablocks operation with sub-categories (materials, meshes,
everything etc) that delete non-referenced data. I think this, coupled
with a sane default for fake users could alleviate the problem of
extra data somehow without the need of a recode. IMO the library
argument I expressed earlier is not very strong since, either way the
user will be aware when creating it that he needs to set a fake user
up, so it's not prone to accidentally screwing it up.