[Bf-committers] Blender developer IRC meeting notes, September 4, 2011
ton at blender.org
Sun Sep 4 18:14:34 CEST 2011
Here's a summary of today's topics:
1) Blender 2.60 targets
- Lukas Toenne: particle 2010 can get in this week. Merging will be
not easy, due to code that moved in branch.
- Benoit Bolsee and Dalai Felinto conform that the "Recast Detour"
branch (2010 GSoC project, BGE navigation maps) is ready to be
applied. Gets added as 2.60 target.
- Morten Mikkelsen has patch to stop using inverted bump normals
(Blender renders bump inverted because face/vertex normals point
inside in render). Ton has it on hold for fixing up, to ensure correct
version patching happens, also when using trunk and 2.59 mixed.
- Dalai: Moving properties from "texface" to Material is target for
- Campbell Barton will finalize review of VertexGroup modifiers this
- UI translation branch: has some usability issues still. It uses an
environment variable, which requires Blender restart to work. The code
itself hasn't been checked yet. The Win64 version doesn't work.
Sergey Sharybin will do code review and help out. We give it a week
for final OK. Hopefully branch developer Xiao can be around in irc to
assist this week?
- Ocean sim branch: Matt Ebb noticed pending todos here, he advised to
wait with it.
2) Blender 2.60, other projects
- Alexander Kuznetsov works on proper UTF8-UTF16 support for Windows.
This will fix writing or reading file paths (or selecting via file
browser). Text editing of UTF is another topic.
- Dalai: question on Carbon support for Apple Ghost library... Cocoa's
Python support fails for tkinter. Jens Verwiebe suggests to drop
Carbon for 2.60, but code will not be removed for it yet. Dalai keeps
in touch with Jens about it.
- Ton: does a call for developer, we need proper (OS level) rawkey
support in Ghost library, to ensure proper system-controlled mapping
of non-US keyboards for shortcuts in Blender.
- Campbell proposes to remove Irix as build target; we agree we need
someone to maintain it at least! Solaris... same issue.
3) Other projects
- Discussion went on about FFmpeg instability in Windows 64 bits.
Unconfirmed what's the reason for it, it relates to playing video and
WAV sound files.
- BMesh: the team happily continues work on it, Howard, Ender &
Campbell are busy. There's a designated bug tracker open for BMesh
- Ton updates on status of development fund:
Proposals/ideas for new funded projects are open!
- Question: how do we ensure Developers with Fund support complete
targets? Suggestion: just do the (last) payment when they complete it.
Ton Roosendaal Blender Foundation ton at blender.org www.blender.org
Blender Institute Entrepotdok 57A 1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands
More information about the Bf-committers