[Bf-committers] Proposal for "View Docs" on Right Click

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 07:18:49 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Harley Acheson
>> <harley.acheson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Sounds good but is the "many to one mapping" really required or wanted?
>>> It sounds like more work than necessary, and would result in ongoing
>>> maintenance.
>>
>> I think this is manageable, we can fallback on wildcards/regex for
>> ID's so we don't need a keep a list of everything.
>> we don't want one doc for "bpy.ops.texture.slot_move", better glob
>> "bpy.ops.texture.slot_*", or  "bpy.ops.texture.*" and then link to a
>> page explaining about blender texture system.
>>
>> Tools to validate all operators are covered by the mapping are easy to
>> write too so the mapping can be maintained and checked to be complete
>> before release.
>
> Where would this mapping be stored? Maybe it should be in the wiki, so
> that documentation writers can maintain this themselves, and also
> after a release documentation can be changed still. It's harder to do
> automated operations on wiki pages, but it does ensure both users and
> developers can edit this.
>
> Creating redirect pages would be one option, e.g. just have
> Doc2.6/Lookup/Object.location, this is already possible, but maybe not
> ideal. Alternatively, documentation pages could have something like
> {{DocID|Object.location}} template embedded in the wiki text, that
> would be found automatically somehow?
>
> Brecht.

To try this out I'd use a file in svn, (perhaps a py script), but can
see eventually this might be better off online / in a wiki but I'm
afraid my skillz don't go that far.

Even so, once this is working this should be fairly easy to move the
lookups to be online for someone who's experienced with web stuff.