[Bf-committers] Proposal for "View Docs" on Right Click

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Oct 26 03:40:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Harley Acheson
> <harley.acheson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sounds good but is the "many to one mapping" really required or wanted?
>> It sounds like more work than necessary, and would result in ongoing
>> maintenance.
>
> I think this is manageable, we can fallback on wildcards/regex for
> ID's so we don't need a keep a list of everything.
> we don't want one doc for "bpy.ops.texture.slot_move", better glob
> "bpy.ops.texture.slot_*", or  "bpy.ops.texture.*" and then link to a
> page explaining about blender texture system.
>
> Tools to validate all operators are covered by the mapping are easy to
> write too so the mapping can be maintained and checked to be complete
> before release.

Where would this mapping be stored? Maybe it should be in the wiki, so
that documentation writers can maintain this themselves, and also
after a release documentation can be changed still. It's harder to do
automated operations on wiki pages, but it does ensure both users and
developers can edit this.

Creating redirect pages would be one option, e.g. just have
Doc2.6/Lookup/Object.location, this is already possible, but maybe not
ideal. Alternatively, documentation pages could have something like
{{DocID|Object.location}} template embedded in the wiki text, that
would be found automatically somehow?

Brecht.