[Bf-committers] Proposal for "View Docs" on Right Click

Harley Acheson harley.acheson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 06:35:28 CEST 2011

> we don't want one doc for "bpy.ops.texture.slot_move", better glob
> "bpy.ops.texture.slot_*", or  "bpy.ops.texture.*" and then link to a
> page explaining about blender texture system.

I'd say we do.   And I'd say that trying to figure out whether to use
"bpy.ops.texture.slot_*", or  "bpy.ops.texture.*" shows just how
arbitrary it can be to try to group these things.  So don't try.

Sure, that one page would just be about slot_move, but then some
industrious soul would add links to a page on texture slots AND
another link to a page on texturing in general.   In the text of this
page someone could add a hyperlink to a page about slot_copy.
And anywhere that mentions moving texture slots could be hyper-linked
to this page.  This type of thing can only be done well when the atoms
of information are small and predictable.

Imagine writing in the wiki and wondering whether you can make something
a hyperlink.  Making the pages this specific means that you can easily
guess what you can link to and also guess the target address, so you can
do so without pausing to look anything up.  If you have to stop and check
to see whether a target document exists you might not even make the link.

If you instead make larger pages that contain multiple items then you can
get stuck when trying to maintain it.  Say the page gets too long and
complicated because people are adding too much useful information.  If you
were to break the page up into smaller logical parts you would then have
to FIX most of the links that go to the page from elsewhere.

So I guess my biggest point is that you can have lots of internal links in
the wiki, like wikipedia, if the target pages are very specific and
predictable.
But you will get very few internal links if the pages are based instead on
unpredictable arbitrary groupings.

Harley