[Bf-committers] UI changes from cycles branch

Jonathan Smith j.jaydez at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:40:23 CEST 2011

I think Brecht's UI changes look better than the current interface, although
there are a few things that people have brought up which I agree should be
changed first.

* Remove emboss on areas and regions

* Remove button emboss

I don't have any strong opinions on this

> * More subtle colors and gradients on buttons

I think some stronger gradients would look nicer. What I liked about the
older UI is that the background was a little brighter, making the interface
look less 'gloomy' (I can't think of another way to describe it).

* Black arrows on menu button

Although I understand the thought behind this, it is much easier when
quickly scanning to spot the arrow which indicates a drop-down menu, rather
than trying to find the shape of the drop-down menu. However saying that,
almost all drop-down menus are that colour already, so that does distinguish
them.

* Panel header changed look & smaller

I like the new look of the panel headers, which is much easier to
distinguish, although they do look a little crowded. I wonder what putting a
couple pixels space between each one would look like.

> * Screen splitting widgets look

They are nice, but I think they should be a little larger: it looks like you
lost almost an 1/8th of the widget in conversion.

> * Toolbar/properties expand button look

MUCH, MUCH better. I think the plus symbols could be a little brighter, and
if we are going to change the ones on the side, then what about the expand
widget in the header? Maybe it should be changed too somehow.

Overall I think it's headed in the right direction, and will improve the
Blender UI significantly.

Cheers,
Jonathan