[Bf-committers] Display modes for 3D-View from user perspective

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:37:45 CET 2011

A short look at you screenshot/mochup gave me a good impression. I would
really like to see it simplified that way.
The only thing that isn't quite clear to me would be the difference
between Textured->Textured and Textured->Shadeless. I would assume that
both are the same? Or is TT meant to be lit the old way, using OpenGL
predefined lights with multitexture?

Currently we have this possible choices (Modes: GS=GLSL,
MT=Multitexturing, ST=Singletexturing; Option: TeS=Textured solid):

Drawmode  | Mode | TeS | Rendered as:
----------|------|-----|----------------
Bounding  |  GS  |     | BoundingBox
Bounding  |  GS  |  x  | BoundingBox
Bounding  |  MT  |     | BoundingBox
Bounding  |  MT  |  x  | BoundingBox
Bounding  |  ST  |     | BoundingBox
Bounding  |  ST  |  x  | BoundingBox
Wireframe |  GS  |     | Wire
Wireframe |  GS  |  x  | Wire
Wireframe |  MT  |     | Wire
Wireframe |  MT  |  x  | Wire
Wireframe |  ST  |     | Wire
Wireframe |  ST  |  x  | Wire
Solid     |  GS  |     | Solid-Shading
Solid     |  GS  |  x  | Solid-Shading + Single Texture (active UV only)
Solid     |  MT  |     | Solid-Shading
Solid     |  MT  |  x  | Solid-Shading + Single Texture (active UV only)
Solid     |  ST  |     | Solid-Shading
Solid     |  ST  |  x  | Solid-Shading + Single Texture (active UV only)
Texture   |  GS  |     | GLSL-Shading + GLSL-Texturing / Nodes
Texture   |  GS  |  x  | GLSL-Shading + GLSL-Texturing / Nodes
Texture   |  MT  |     | OpenGL-Shading + Single Texture (active UV only)
Texture   |  MT  |  x  | OpenGL-Shading + Single Texture (active UV only)
Texture   |  ST  |     | OpenGL-Shading + Single Texture (active UV only)
Texture   |  ST  |  x  | OpenGL-Shading + Single Texture (active UV only)

That are a whole lot of possible combinations (24), but only a hand full
(6) of actually implemented display modes. What about Multitexturing? I
never saw a single mode supporting it inside the 3D-View. Additionally i
think that the last mode "OpenGL-Shading + Single-Texturing (always
active UV only)" is pretty much useless in practice.

Greetings from
Tobias Oelgarte