[Bf-committers] Display modes for 3D-View from user perspective

Julio Iglesias j at zafio.com
Sun Nov 27 17:44:13 CET 2011

Maybe I'm missing some facts, but the way I see it, to make it as simple as
possible, giving at the same time some versatility, overall changes could
be:
- Textured Solid option (could be) out from display/shading, as it can be
selected in the viewport's shading menu (as seen on the mockup)
- All viewport texture shading modes (except GLSL*) would still depend on
what is selected on "display/shading" panel.
* Meaning "Textured GLSL" would override whatever is selected in
"display/shading" and viceversa; if GLSL is selected in display/shading,
the other viewport tex shading modes would override GLSL mode.

Now, having those new viewport shading options, there might be a point
where having the "display/shading" panel doesn't make sense anymore, but I
think it doesn't hurt to leave it as it is at the moment, it might be a bit
confusing, but you wouldn't even need to go there anyway, since you could
alternate the most common tex shading options from the viewport menu or
(ALT/SHIFT/Z) shortcuts.

>Or is TT meant to be lit the old way, using OpenGL
>predefined lights with multitexture?

Yep, textured would be the same old textured, but I made a mistake on the
mockup, to avoid confusion and clutter, it should be like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2294713/textureshadingmodes2.png
So if you were currently in shadeless mode, "Textured" would be present
again.

Regards.