[Bf-committers] OS X update to XCode 4 breaks compiling

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Sat Mar 19 23:47:26 CET 2011

On 19/03/2011 11:36 PM, Damien Plisson wrote:
> BTW, why rushing to XCode 4?
> I mean Blender is not a native Cocoa application with heavy Interface Builder use, and other fancy stuff that'll take advantage of the new XCode 4 ?

It is not a matter of "rushing" but a matter of what Apple is "pushing".
As an iPhone/iPad developer, I need to use what Apple is pushing,
whether I like it or not, as one cannot compile for their latest iOS SDK
without XCode4. Other applications compile with relatively little
trouble from their CMake output, however SDNA related applications have
had the odd quirk - so there is something potentially wrong there in
limited circumstances (OpenAL related from what I can tell).

In any case, obtaining XCode 3 is not really an option for NEW
developers. The official download from Apple for XCode
(http://developer.apple/com/xcode/) is now XCode 4. They'll download the
tools they are told are necessary and still be unable to compile
Blender. Whether we like Apple's new IDE or not (and I personally
don't), it is what Apple developers are getting now and/or will NEED to
get in the near future.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Tolputt