[Bf-committers] color space changes

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Nov 12 23:33:28 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:34 AM, Kent Mein <mein at cs.umn.edu> wrote:

> Load up blender, and open your image in the image editor.
> and use the color sampler to sample the color.
> Now in Hex I have color 71C4CA  in both programs.
> In RGB though in blender I have .165  .552 .591
> Now I get that it's a different color space but if I
> had chosen a different work flow, example:
> I had used 113 196 201 and converted them to 0.0-1.0 range
> I would get totally different numbers, something like:
> .441 .765  .785

The fact is that those numbers are not interchangeable. One is in a
linear colour space, one is gamma corrected. To use a more extreme
example it's almost like asking why 100 44 120 in HSB space doesn't
translate to linear RGB space, it's apples and oranges.

To facilitate transferring colours to oldskool apps like GIMP the hex
field always shows gamma corrected values that can be pasted in for
the same visual result (when looking at a screen roughly calibrated to
sRGB).

Anyway, Blender is working correctly in the same way that modern apps
that work with linear colour space internally do, like Nuke for
example. Basically the answer is "doesn't work the same as GIMP" !=
bug.

Matt