[Bf-committers] color space changes

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 17:27:18 CET 2010

You cannot tell if a color should be treated as linear or gamma-encoded
until you perform some operation on it.
If you are using linear workflow,
and If you sample an image from a gamma-corrected image, you should get a linear
color value,

which is the actual value but then gamma-corrected for some gamma curve value.
but if you sample a pixel from a linear image, such as an already-corrected
(linearlized) photo,
or sample an pixel from a linear pallete for like a texture brush color, you
should get a linear (the actual) value.

the problem is that the sampler has no way of knowing if you;re sampling
a linear-space color swatch like if you were picking a brush color, and return
the actual pixel value,
or sampling a pixel from a photo and should therefore gamma-correct (gamma .45
if your using 2.2 (.45=1/2.2)) the value

 --Roger

Check out my website at www.rogerwickes.com for a good deal on my book and
training course, as well as information about my latest activities. Use coupon
Papasmurf for $15 off!