[Bf-committers] Proposal for Python Game Engine module re-shuffling

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 23:57:41 CEST 2010

Hi Dalai

bge.events mostly stores constants for keyboard/mouse, so I think this
is an OK name to keep (has 2 event conversion func's too)
re: moving mouse/kb out not sure of this.

One think I don't like about bge.logic is all the constants stored in it
eg:
http://www.blender.org/documentation/250PythonDoc/bge.logic.html#constraint-actuator
bpy api avoids this py using strings everywhere, but the BGE api
hardly changed since blender 2.4x and I dont propose a rewrite.

perhaps bge.constants.* ?

Could also have bge.utils, similar to bpy.utils, but think a proposal
should be written up if we are going to do more then just renaming a
few modules.

Once we have these modules its tempting to `improve` other parts of the api
eg: bge.logic.setPhysicsTicRate(10) --> bge.logic.physics_tic_rate = 10
..there are many areas where the api could have get/sets removed as
has been the direction of blenders rna api.

re: VideoTexture...
VideoTexture --> bge.video ?
 is it likely we ever have non-texture video in the bge? :)

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Campbell,
>
> I like:
> bge.logic
> bge.events (maybe we should move bge.logic.mouse/keyboard to here as well)
> bge.render
> bge.constraints
>
> I don't think tell much about the module:
> bge.types
>
> I miss:
> Video Texture :)
> what should it be?
> - bge.texture
> - bge.dynamictexture
> - bge.videotexture (the module is far from be only for video though)
> - ...?
>
> Nice work on the conversion btw :)
> Dalai
>
> 2010/5/17 Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>:
>> Last night while converting epydocs over to sphinx I realized we
>> didn't agree on renaming modules yet.
>>
>> Hows this sound?
>>
>> * 'bge', base module, fits with 'bpy' & 'bgl'
>> * GameLogic --> bge.logic
>> * GameTypes --> bge.types
>> * GameKeys --> bge.events # includes mouse events, could also call it
>> bge.keys, don't have a strong opinion here.
>> * Rasterizer --> bge.render # rasterizer is a bit if a mouthful
>> * PhysicsConstraints --> bge.constraints
>>
>> Modules: mathutils, geometry, bgl and blf will remain standalone.
>>
>> --
>> - Campbell

- Campbell