[Bf-committers] Proposal for Python Game Engine module re-shuffling

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Tue May 18 01:56:45 CEST 2010

Re-Reply :)

>bge.events mostly stores constants for keyboard/mouse, so I think this is an OK name to keep (has 2 event conversion func's too)
I like bge.events, the one doesn't tell me much is bge.types (not a
big issue though, it's as (un)uniformative as GameTypes so it's fine)

>re: moving mouse/kb out not sure of this. --
my suggestion was to move out of logic (not out of types) into events.
bge.logic.keyboard, bge.logic.mouse were added in 2.5 (from Mitchell's
patch). Again not a big issue, only an initial thought I had when the
patch was committed.

> re: VideoTexture...
> VideoTexture --> bge.video ?
>  is it likely we ever have non-texture video in the bge? :)
Maybe :) but either way I use the VideoTexture module for everything
but videos ;) - webcamera, local images, integration with bgl (using
bindid) . . . So nowadays (and in the future) I don't think the module
will be concentrated in videos. Benoit would know better of course.

Re: Constants:
I also dislike how all the constants are in Gamelogic. Would it be
possible to move them to bge.constants without breaking old files
(e.g. marking bge.logic.KX_INPUT_JUST_RELEASED as deprecated)?
Otherwise at first thought I would leave this for any real re-design
in the future (2.5 breaks already a lot of things, not sure we should
make more unecessarly).

I hope we can get more user feedback on that matter.
Regards,
Dalai