[Bf-committers] small scale suggestion : keyframe extra tools

Muhamad Faizol Abd. Halim faizol.blender at gmail.com
Tue May 11 04:58:36 CEST 2010

Hi,

 Thanks for the feedback.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Joshua Leung <aligorith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Muhamad Faizol Abd. Halim
> <faizol.blender at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. To have an in-between keyframe can be inserted on the timeline using
> > right-mouse-button (RMB) to position it at a specific timeline, and
> > middle-mouse-button (MMB) to put a keyframe at that timeline. Other mouse
> > gestures will simply cancel the operation. This will help animators to
> > create follow ups keyframe much more easily and can consolidate several
> > dopesheet operations into just 2 clicks on the timeline.
> >
> > Example is posted  at this link:
> >
> > http://www.pasteall.org/pic/3226   (blender_suggestion_01.png)
> So is the main purpose of this to just insert breakdowns using a
> modal-workflow without having to scrub the time cursor over to where a
> keyframe is desired (with the keyframe taking the interpolated values
> at the point where they are inserted)? I don't really understand the
> point of this, and don't really consider this as too much of a
> benefit.

It's not "taking the interpolated values at the point where they are
inserted", but taking the _current frame_ 's  interpolation values to be
inserted at the _desired frame_ (blue bar). Doing it this way then a user
doesn't have to keyframe the desired values at the current frame and move it
again afterwards to the desired frame.

> I do understand the need to be able to add keyframes tagged as
> 'breakdowns' in an easier way, and for that I do intend to add a way
> to choose the type of keyframes inserted. However, the best way to
> present this functionality is still a bit unclear, though I don't
> think this is the right approach.

There might be a better approach, just that this feature is readily
available in other commercial 3d application and it helps animators to
simplify the keyframe workflow. The same result can be done through
dopesheet, but if we can consolidate a few operations into just two simple
clicks, then in my humble opinion, I think it's worth a try.

> > 2. My second suggestion is to more keyframes management tool/handler. One
> of
> > them is a box handler, more or less like this. I'm hoping that this could
> > help animators to handle/manage large amount of keyframes much more
> easily.
> >
> > example: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/3227 (blender_suggestion_02.png).
> This sort of tool has been on my todo for a couple of months now.
> Basically, it's pending work on a generic manipulator widget API
> before work progresses on setting this up.

Cool. Glad to know that it's there in the roadmap.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Faizol Abd. Halim