[Bf-committers] Preference file changes for Vista/Win7, network installations, and large domain deployments

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Tue Mar 30 20:49:13 CEST 2010

Hi,
andrea at aweikert.de (2010-03-30 at 1920.16 +0200):
> For the multi-user installation, there is a start of a description in
> the wiki where the paths that blender uses are set via environment
> variables, which I don't really like since they are cumbersome on
> Windows to setup. They are also likely to be forgotten to set by users
> or point to wrong versions of Blender etc. which will lead to bug
> reports and at least some maintenance work for the devs.

The env vars are, first, a method to pass the info to children
processes (and to receive from parent if Blender is being launched
from scripts), and second a configuration system.

The default initialization is from a file and some internal code (to
handle versions, etc) so only very advanced users should need to
change things by hand, the rest should be fine with defaults or a file
rewritten by Blender.

GSR