[Bf-committers] Preference file changes for Vista/Win7, network installations, and large domain deployments

Andrea Weikert andrea at aweikert.de
Tue Mar 30 19:20:16 CEST 2010

Hi Rob, Harley,

these two things, getting UNC paths working and a better multi-user
installation are very much wanted and since I've been working in that
area, I can help you both out there with reviewing the patches and
answering any question you might have about the code.
For the UNC paths to work, you will need to fix the BLI_path_rel and
BLI_path_abs in source/blender/blenlib/path_util.c at least - the code
there is quite ancient and ugly, so if you need help there, let me know.

For the multi-user installation, there is a start of a description in
the wiki where the paths that blender uses are set via environment
variables, which I don't really like since they are cumbersome on
Windows to setup. They are also likely to be forgotten to set by users
or point to wrong versions of Blender etc. which will lead to bug
reports and at least some maintenance work for the devs.

For a nice installation, we want to ideally support both, a single
directory install (zip file) where the user can just grab it and run
'everywhere' and a good single/user and multi/user install for single
artists as well as for nice automatic installations in school labs or
multi-user machines that conforms as good as possible to the
specifications that Windows has for allowing the user to write and
access files.
As a first step, I will soon set up a wiki page with some documentation
and analysis about which files blender installs, which user specific
files it writes etc.

A major issue will also be the installation of scripts, both required
scripts for a working blender (UI, etc.) and user specific scripts and
we also have to decide which files should be shared between multiple
users and which ones are really user specific.

It is great if you want to contribute in this area, we definitely don't
have enough people helping out there. For the beginning, I'd suggest we
get the discussion starting and I will review your patches and apply
them as work progresses.

If you have any questions, just catch me on IRC (nick elubie) in the
european evening hours or drop me an email.

- Andrea