[Bf-committers] Texture synthesis node

Vilem Novak pildanovak at post.cz
Thu Jun 25 02:08:07 CEST 2009

Hello,
I agree with this to some extent.
As you might know i made some nodes (bilateral, bas-relief),
and was thinking about developing some more - normalmap to displacement conversion,
frequency based image tuning, maybe erosion algorithm for terrain generation.

I think image editing features are exactly what the compositor does.
There might be confusion in the name 'compositor', which assumes
that this blender window is specifically for postproduction,
while it's allready a very versatile image processing tool.

The reasons for having such tools inside blender are these:

Direct pipeline integration - e.g. bilateral blur has usually 1 input(gimp has something similar), while in
blender there are 2 inputs for direct pass input, and allow much more this way. And being originally an
image editor tool, it suits very well for postprocessing tasks too.

Floating point precision - When I had bas-relief code externally, there were many problems with keeping the
depth of the saved z-buffer and other trouble with formats, while in blender it just works like charm.
Similar is with bilateral blur 'determinator' input.

Faster preview and feedback - we allready have a node to convert
 images to normalmaps, and I can imagine texture synthesizer
would be usefull because you could tweak the results seeing them
directly on the mesh. Same could be with the nodes I mentioned I
would like to code sometime.
by the way I'd love to see animated textures getting synthesized :)

On the other side, disadvantage is the unnecessary code duplicity around
various graphic tools(gimp & blender). This might get in future solved
with integration of gegl? This was several times mentioned on
irc, but so far is just an idea.

Cheers,
Vilda