[Bf-committers] Texture synthesis node

Aurel W. aurel.w at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:11:39 CEST 2009

Hi

Brecht,
> An approach like graph cut textures won't work well as a texture node
> though, since a texture node has to be able to get color values from
> just an x/y/z coordinate, there isn't a 2D image in which you can
> precompute the texture. It's possible get some methods to behave just
> like procedural textures however. Also possible is to just bake it
> into an image, taking into account UV's to make it seam free.
Well, yes, a simple texture synthesis node would take a pixmap as an
input and outputs a larger pixmap. So this would be sort of equivalent
to the current image input texture node. With graphcut for e.g. you
can also make tileable images, so you could precompute a simple image
buffer and evaluate a texture at any coordinates from this without
seams.

But as Keith mentioned, there are already two plugins for GIMP which
do texture synthesis and I guess there won't be real benefits from
integrating this into blender except from maybe a slightly faster
workflow. Also a really performant and good implementation of graphcut
is more than just a task for the weekend.

Synthesis for real meshes and taking UV's into account is of course a
different story and I guess this would be quite useful.

Aurel