[Bf-committers] Texture synthesis node

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Thu Jun 25 01:55:33 CEST 2009

Hi,

I think texture synthesis is definitely useful for 3D software,
synthesizing over surfaces or over 3D volumes doesn't fit well in
image editing software.

An approach like graph cut textures won't work well as a texture node
though, since a texture node has to be able to get color values from
just an x/y/z coordinate, there isn't a 2D image in which you can
precompute the texture. It's possible get some methods to behave just
like procedural textures however. Also possible is to just bake it
into an image, taking into account UV's to make it seam free.

There's many papers about texture synthesis, these are some of the
best I think, perhaps Keith had one of these in mind:

Parallel Controllable Texture Synthesis
Appearance-Space Texture Synthesis
Lazy Solid Texture Synthesis

http://www-sop.inria.fr/reves/Sylvain.Lefebvre/