[Bf-committers] Texture synthesis node

Vilem Novak pildanovak at post.cz
Thu Jun 25 02:39:49 CEST 2009

Added since we wrote a mail at same time:

I wrote my mail about compositor, while here you speak about texture nodes.

I didn't much understand the discussion about filters e.t.c. on texture data,
since without inventing these filters for 3d and loosing a lot of performance(much more sampling),
these operations are simply not possible(just summing what was already said).
But  of course the image isn't texture, the image is the input for the texture of class image. The naming is confusing :)
If the image itself could become a node of a different type, it could get linked as input to the texture-image, and
any filters - nodes from compositor could get applied on the way.
Processing of such filters would have to be done before actual rendering.
This of course goes on the cost of memory and performance, since whole
images would get always processed, even if a small part of the texture can
be actually seen in the render. Memory issues and repeated computation
could get solved with caching the images on the disc.

However, I like much more the idea of having a separate tree for anything to do with images - the compositor.
For the 'preparation' phase of any textures, an input to image data block from compositor would be great.
Now, if you do process an image in the compositor (blur/sharpen texture, color correct....) you have to save and reload it
to see results in the 3d scene. If there would be an output node called 'imageblock', the preview would be interactive.
Only problem I see again is - breaking the walls of what the compositor is considered to be for, and possible crazy
circular dependencies. But I guess not many artists would have the idea of linking render output to a texture in the same scene?
if yes, then they would get what they deserve... :)

Cheers,
Vilda