[Bf-committers] Sound stuff

neXyon nexyon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 02:50:56 CEST 2009

Greetings again,

as anounced I started working on the sound library exactly one week ago.
I've just finished phase 1 of the schedule: implementing a working very
first version of the library.

The next phase is the integration in blender, which will be a bit more
difficult.
Some steps to do there are:
* Getting the library to compile with the 3 build systems of blender.
* Write the C API which will be the interface between the library and
   blender.
* Get the sound structures running, including saving and loading them to
   and from blend files.
* Update the game engine code to use the new library.
* Remove SoundSystem.
* Create classes and C API for the sequencer as it has several special
   needs.
* Implement the sequencer sound functionality.
* Implement the sound related graphical UI.

I fear I'll need some help for most of these steps, but I'm sure we can
stay the course.

Now to the current state of the library:

http://download.blender.org/ftp/incoming/SoundSpace.tar.gz

The build system for it is cmake, if you have it installed, just unpack,
run cmake PATHOFSOURCE in an empty directory and then run make.
I guess many of you have to edit the CMakeLists.txt file to set the
correct FFMPEG paths, especially Windows and MacOS users (feedback for
these OSs would be nice as I don't have them!).
After compilation open up main.cpp and read the comments there for the
usage of the application and the library.

I'll have a rest until Sunday meeting, before I continue to work on
this, so that you have enough time for feedback!

Regards,
neXyon