[Bf-committers] looking for advice

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 3 17:17:27 CEST 2009

--- On Fri, 7/3/09, Charles Wardlaw <cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com> wrote:

> The short of the problems: undo recalculates from keys, so
> if you don't use
> autokey it often undoes well past the last change.

Attached you'll find a patch that disables depgraph refresh on undo. According to Ton, that might cause some other problems (or not).
In very simple test cases, it seemed to work as expected, but this is definitely not a complete fix.

I'm putting this out there for people to test and report errors.
Unfortunately, I won't be at the meeting this Sunday, but I hope we can continue talk on this on the ML.

> An idea that both Aligorith and I had was to add a cache
> system to the
> animation curves so that when you don't autokey, the cache
> fills up and
> holds values that don't get saved with the Blend file but
> that work with
> undo.  This is a great idea but won't solve problems
> on unkeyed objects in
> references.  However, caching at the RNA level would--
> if RNA channels for
> translate / rotate / scale / user data had similar caches,
> undo values could
> be pulled from caches as well.

The undo system already caches old values, there must be a way we can use those instead.

> Are there any developers with time who
> wouldn't mind getting paid to sort this stuff out?
> Preferably someone who
> lives in Toronto, Canada, but naturally I'd be flexible on
> that.

I certainly wouldn't mind working on this stuff (unless someone more familiar with the animation system wants to take it). While I'm not in Toronto, Montreal is somewhat close by.

Martin