[Bf-committers] looking for advice

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Fri Jul 3 22:29:22 CEST 2009

> This doesn't solve the particular issue, but why don't we enable autokey
> by default for values that already have curves? Why would you want move
> a bone that has a keyframe, and not have it replace/insert a keyframe
> when you move it? Now that we have undo and autokey features, this seems
> the most logical behavior.

   Yes, I think it would make sense to have it on by default.  But it
needs to be set to only key properties that are already have keys on
them.  The user doesn't normally expect repositioning an object to
animate it, even if they reposition it twice on two different frames.

   This way the initial manual keying of a property becomes more like
telling Blender "I want this to be animated".
   It would be an epic fail, IMO, if it autokey was on by default and
keyed anything the user changed.

   (Incidentally, in the name of consistency of behavior, it would be
nice if autokey in 2.5 worked for all animatable properties in
Blender, including in the buttons window, rather than being limited to
object transforms.)

   But it would still be good to get Charles' complaint fixed, as a
lot of people prefer the manual keying workflow.

--Nathan V