[Bf-committers] Sunday meeting minutes, 30 august 2009

Arystan Dyussenov arystan.d at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:08:10 CEST 2009


Sorry for not attending this meeting -- completely forgot.

About the API project, I'm finishing the python-part of multidimensional
array support.

>From my p.o.v. the import API is still very unfinished: I added only
functions necessary for i/o scripts I've been porting, this includes mostly
mesh read/write but lacks for example animation, armature building, etc. a
big list probably.

Also, mesh import part is difficult to use at the moment. This is the task
I'd like to work on next.

I'll add more items to test to the
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/Testing as soon as I
merge my soc branch in 2.5 in the next few days.

About the COLLADA importer. I'll work with Chingiz to help him correct
armature animation import.

Also, I think it would be nice to re-write the COLLADA i/o using the RNA C++
API. The nice thing is that this would make it more readable (more chances
for other developers to come and improve it), help validate RNA C++ API and
add new functions to RNA API. Brecht?


On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> ---------- 2.49b update
> - All signs are green now! So... let's schedule it.
> - Campbell will provide a changle log
> - Ton makes sure blender.org website gets updated
> - Ton commits the splash update, and sends "release AHOY" to the
> maillist monday. - Martin then tags svn
> - Brendon Murphy (meta-androcto) will make an updated .zip with his
> famous python bundle (as a separate download).
> ---------- 2.5 project
> - Now Brecht and Ton are back from the Durian workshop, they can move
> back to mapping out all the todos, to propose a work and migration
> plan.
> - First thing we want is a 'test page', which will clearly map out
> which parts of Blender are ready for test, and for what specific.
> Nicholas Bishop made a start already:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/Testing
> (Devs: fill it in with more info!)
> As soon as this information is accurate, we'll open a new bug tracker
> for 2.5, and regularly make "official" testing binaries available as
> well.
> - Next will be roadmap proposal for what and when will be worked on,
> and how to most efficiently release this. It's still expected to have
> multiple 2.5x itterations before we're fully 100% back. How many
> releases and how much time that'll cost we will hopefully know next
> week.
> - We also have to think of how to structure the Blender Reference
> documentation in wiki, preferably generated from source code (where
> possible). Luca 'mindrones' made a wiki reference example, which will
> need some further evaluation and design work though.
> Brecht/Ton/Campbell will be connecting with him about this.
> - GSoC and patches... there's several projects ready to get included,
> also patches are waiting for a long time already. Ton proposes to first
> get the basics back to work for 2.5, based on "what worked for 2.4x",
> before putting official coordinated efforts in adding new features in
> Blender. Also this will depend on the roadmap masterplan though.
> - Bmesh: Joe Eagar will review current status of code and communicate
> with team what the the best migration moment would be.
> - Py scripts and API design: many things work, and many open ends here
> still... will need time to map out as well.
> - So in short: we first need to get the big picture... docs, docs docs!
> And you know, coders... :)
> ------- Durian
> - Work in progress, feature shortlist:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Org:Bf-institute/DurianFeatures
> - We have to ensure smaller but especially bigger development demands
> are well communicated in advance, to invite and involve all development
> power in our community.
> This can be achieved also by more openess in what kind of shots are
> going to be designed. The Durian team already agreed on to be more open
> this time. In general the team consensis is "Everything open, except
> the script and story(boards)". How this will work in practice we'll
> find out soon! But examples of usuful information is to note down we
> need shots with effects like:
> "Sword sweeps through foggy air, leaving curled smoke effect like a
> helicopter"
> "Lava chunks drop down from sky, come to life, to turn into glowing
> evil lava critters."
> More updates on this will be on the durian blog, and next week's
> meeting minutes!
> Thanks,
> -Ton-
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation   ton at blender.org    www.blender.org
> Blender Institute   Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam   The Netherlands
> _______________________________________________
> Bf-committers mailing list
> Bf-committers at blender.org
> http://lists.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-committers

More information about the Bf-committers mailing list