[Bf-committers] Sunday meeting minutes, 30 august 2009

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Aug 30 19:27:23 CEST 2009

Hi all,

---------- 2.49b update

- All signs are green now! So... let's schedule it.
- Campbell will provide a changle log
- Ton makes sure blender.org website gets updated
- Ton commits the splash update, and sends "release AHOY" to the
maillist monday. - Martin then tags svn
- Brendon Murphy (meta-androcto) will make an updated .zip with his
famous python bundle (as a separate download).

---------- 2.5 project

- Now Brecht and Ton are back from the Durian workshop, they can move
back to mapping out all the todos, to propose a work and migration
plan.

- First thing we want is a 'test page', which will clearly map out
which parts of Blender are ready for test, and for what specific.

Nicholas Bishop made a start already:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/Testing
(Devs: fill it in with more info!)

As soon as this information is accurate, we'll open a new bug tracker
for 2.5, and regularly make "official" testing binaries available as
well.

- Next will be roadmap proposal for what and when will be worked on,
and how to most efficiently release this. It's still expected to have
multiple 2.5x itterations before we're fully 100% back. How many
releases and how much time that'll cost we will hopefully know next
week.

- We also have to think of how to structure the Blender Reference
documentation in wiki, preferably generated from source code (where
possible). Luca 'mindrones' made a wiki reference example, which will
need some further evaluation and design work though.
Brecht/Ton/Campbell will be connecting with him about this.

- GSoC and patches... there's several projects ready to get included,
also patches are waiting for a long time already. Ton proposes to first
get the basics back to work for 2.5, based on "what worked for 2.4x",
before putting official coordinated efforts in adding new features in
Blender. Also this will depend on the roadmap masterplan though.

- Bmesh: Joe Eagar will review current status of code and communicate
with team what the the best migration moment would be.

- Py scripts and API design: many things work, and many open ends here
still... will need time to map out as well.

- So in short: we first need to get the big picture... docs, docs docs!
And you know, coders... :)

------- Durian

- Work in progress, feature shortlist:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Org:Bf-institute/DurianFeatures

- We have to ensure smaller but especially bigger development demands
are well communicated in advance, to invite and involve all development
power in our community.

This can be achieved also by more openess in what kind of shots are
going to be designed. The Durian team already agreed on to be more open
this time. In general the team consensis is "Everything open, except
the script and story(boards)". How this will work in practice we'll
find out soon! But examples of usuful information is to note down we
need shots with effects like:

"Sword sweeps through foggy air, leaving curled smoke effect like a
helicopter"
"Lava chunks drop down from sky, come to life, to turn into glowing
evil lava critters."

More updates on this will be on the durian blog, and next week's
meeting minutes!

Thanks,

-Ton-