[Bf-committers] Some work on BlenderPocket 2.48

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 05:10:24 CET 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Salvatore Russo <russose at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am synchronizing BlenderPocket with the current version of Blender and
> I have some questions, maybe you could help me :-)
>
> 1) I would like to add the capability to rotate the screen for all
> devices (like mine) that do not support this feature. In this way, the
> user will ever be able to choose in using BlenderPocket in landscape
> mode or not. As Blender UI is fully OpenGL, my first idea was to play
> with some modelview matrices and introduce on top of the transformation
> matrix stack a glRotate (90, 0,0,1). It would help me a lot if someone
> could confirm that this approach is the right one and point me in the
> code where can I do it: with my first tests, I am affraid that it will
> not be so easy...

I think there's a set of functions, that start with mywindow_, that are used
most places in the code for handling window matrices.  You could look at
those.  That's just off the top of my head though.  You'd also have to
modify mouse events to rotate too, of course.

> 2) I am trying to optimize BlenderPocket with simple things that can
> have big effect on small devices, like reducing the MAXPICKBUF to 100,
> simplifying event queues, etc... Do you maybe have some other "simple"
> optimizations to advice me to speed up Blender on very limited devices?

> 3) Can someone explain me how the /release/datafiles/preview.blend file
> is used by Blender? I would like to understand this to try some
> optimisations in the material/texture previews ;)

IIRC, each used layer in the file corresponds to a specific preview pane in
blender.

It's cool your still working on this.

Joe