[Bf-committers] Change the default render window position

Yves Poissant ypoissant2 at videotron.ca
Fri Apr 25 20:40:43 CEST 2008

> My plan has been for 2.5 to make the 'image editor' render display the
> default option (I've been using it here for ages). It removes the need
> for another overlapping window, keeping things nicely within the
> Blender window manager, it has a lot more functionality like curves
> colour correction and showing the various render layers and passes,
> and it's a lot more usable since the functionality is right there
> accessible in buttons and menus - i.e. the much more obvious
> image->save command should prevent all those screenshotted render
> windows you see from new users on the forums.

This is something I was doing when I was playing with nodes for post
processing. I had the image editor setup to display preview node. I quickly
found out that one of the benefits of the overlaping render window is that
it automatically fits the render resolution. No need to scroll inside the
window to view the whole picture or to rearrange the workplace to fit the
render inside the image editor. Once I figure that I could achieve the same
thing within the render window with the "Do Composite" button, I quickly
abandonned the Image Editor as an output for my renders. I agree that the
Image->Save command is much more obvious from the Image Editor though.