[Bf-committers] Qdune code

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Nov 9 18:37:50 CET 2007

Hey Kent,

> This attitude bugs me a little.
> Alexander I understand where your coming from, and I'm not trying to attack
> you personally.  I'm just venting!!! ;)
>
> The Google Summer of Code is not there to produce code for the
> open source community.  Honestly, Google could care less about

Duh. That is really a surprising statement, totally contradicting what I was
thinking.

Must be the standard problem I have with everyone and everything... my
thinking is just far too... urm... straightforward :)

> the code that is produced.  The aim of the project is to "build/create"
> new developers that will work on open source projects.  If we get

If that is the aim, then nothing really changes, because this aim hasn't
been reached either. I don't think any of the SoC contributors of the past are
still active Blender developers? (Except those who actually had been before)

> I personally think we should also be looking at it that way.  I rather
> have a coder "fail" to get their code included in the main branch of
> blender, and become an active developer, than to have them finish a
> successful project and then once its done drop off the map.

So far, the outcome mostly was that those projects which WERE successful
have been coded by people who already were active developers before SoC...

> Unfortunately, I think were losing most of the students that were
> involved because everyone looks at these projects and says man what a
> waste of time that was...  These students are working hard, I'm not
> saying the system is perfect and there isn't room for improvement.

I'm not looking at it that way, seriously. I just think that the students
need a lot more help and drive for getting their stuff into trunk, because I
suppose that the feeling that they have done all their work in vain (i.e.,
it doesn't get into the software actually) is the worst that can happen.
Well, and getting paid and still seeing that their work doesn't go
anywhere... must also be a strange experience.

But well. This is getting seriously off-topic :)

Alexander Ewering

[ i n s t i n c t i v e . ]   http://www.instinctive.de

Zur Waldeshoehe 6                    Tel.: 02393-220558
59846 Sundern                         Fax: 02393-220559
Germany                xx-mail: xx-mail.com/instinctive