[Bf-committers] Qdune code

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Fri Nov 9 16:41:08 CET 2007

This attitude bugs me a little.
Alexander I understand where your coming from, and I'm not trying to attack
you personally.  I'm just venting!!! ;)

The Google Summer of Code is not there to produce code for the
open source community.  Honestly, Google could care less about
the code that is produced.  The aim of the project is to "build/create"
new developers that will work on open source projects.  If we get
code that is usable as a byproduct that is great but its an added
benefit.  The overall goal of the project is to get more people
involved in the projects google is supporting.

Its the whole hey your a student you want to work on a project, ok write
a proposal. (which is a learning experience in itself for a lot of
people)  If your lucky we'll pay you a meager amount to do a ton of
work for the summer and you can see what its really like to work on
a large software project, and who knows you may do something that will
affect a lot of people.

I personally think we should also be looking at it that way.  I rather
have a coder "fail" to get their code included in the main branch of
blender, and become an active developer, than to have them finish a
successful project and then once its done drop off the map.

Unfortunately, I think were losing most of the students that were
involved because everyone looks at these projects and says man what a
waste of time that was...  These students are working hard, I'm not
saying the system is perfect and there isn't room for improvement.

I do think that the expectations of the community need to be reajusted a
little bit, and we need to show a little more gratitude towards the
students that actually work on the project all the way to the end.

Kent