[Bf-committers] Summer of Code (previously qdune but derailed by Alex)

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 19:02:49 CET 2007

Hi Alex, Kent, everyone,

--- Alexander Ewering <blender at instinctive.de> wrote:

> (blender at instinctive.de):
> >
> > This attitude bugs me a little.
> > Alexander I understand where your coming from, and
> I'm not trying to attack
> > you personally.  I'm just venting!!! ;)
> >
> > The Google Summer of Code is not there to produce
> code for the
> > open source community.  Honestly, Google could
> care less about
>
> Duh. That is really a surprising statement, totally
> contradicting what I was
> thinking.

That's only because you didn't look up what GSOC is
about according its "founding principle" before going
on a rant, but I digress...

> If that is the aim, then nothing really changes,
> because this aim hasn't
> been reached either. I don't think any of the SoC
> contributors of the past are
> still active Blender developers? (Except those who
> actually had been before)

That's simply not true. Here's a quick list of people
who weren't previously Blender devs and who stuck
around/are still here/came back. (Some of them have
been silent for a while, but everyone can be busy with
life).
2005: Nils Thuerey, Emmanuel Stone
2006: Nicholas Bishop, Ben Batt
2007: Csaba Hruska

(apologies if I missed anyone, I'm coming up with that
list from memory)

> So far, the outcome mostly was that those projects
> which WERE successful
> have been coded by people who already were active
> developers before SoC...

That's simply not true.

> I'm not looking at it that way, seriously. I just
> think that the students
> need a lot more help and drive for getting their
> stuff into trunk, because I
> suppose that the feeling that they have done all
> their work in vain (i.e.,
> it doesn't get into the software actually) is the
> worst that can happen.
> Well, and getting paid and still seeing that their
> work doesn't go
> anywhere... must also be a strange experience.

Agreed on this point. For next year, we really should
reserve time before the end of the alloted period to
work on integration in trunk instead of leaving that
for later (when student would have less time because
of school restarting and what not).

To students of this year who haven't had their code
integrated yet, please don't despair!

Martin