[Bf-committers] Python Error, check console (Add->Mesh->Torus)

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Thu May 17 15:13:55 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 01:52:17PM +0200, Alexander Ewering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what is the cause of this problem? Is it the fact that I have Python 2.3
> installed on my system?
>
> I get the following error when I try Add->Mesh->Torus:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<string>", line 9, in ?
> ImportError: No module named math
>
> When running Blender, I get:
>
> Compiled with Python version 2.4.1.
> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Checking for installed Python... No installed Python found.
> Only built-in modules are available.  Some scripts may not run.
> Continuing happily.
>
> (Not so happily appearently ;-)
>
> If *built-in* functionality requires a certain Python version (and sorry,
> but Add->Mesh->Anything *is* built-in, no matter how it is implemented),
> that should be clearly stated somewhere...

The continuing happily msg comes from Blender not Alexander.  It can be
happy even if you are not.

The key here is the "Compiled with Python version 2.4.1."
You need to have the same version of python that blender was
compiled with.  Otherwise, some scripts may not run.  This
relation is nothing new.

Either install python 2.4 or get blender built with python 2.3 and
continue happily!

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net