[Bf-committers] GPLv3 Released (for license gurus).

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sun Jul 1 15:51:32 CEST 2007

* how much of our code if any has the 'or later' clause?
* do we care about 'tivoization'?
* is there anything regarding software patent deals that effects us?
* what projects does blender use that v2/3 conflicts might happen?

I get the impression the extra stuff in this license wont effect blender
much, more an issue of mixing the source code with other projects.

Personally Im happy to stick with v2 and see no advantage in changing.
But if the consensus was that there was an advantage in changing to
share code with other projects (like moonlight3d) Id be okay about
moving to v3 also.

joe wrote:
> This makes me wonder if any of the licenses of libraries we use would
> be invalid under
> the GPL v3, too.
>
> Personally, I can't see us switching, mostly because every past
> contributor would have to
> agree to the switch (which means tracking them all down.  Now, if the
> two licenses were
> compatible we could switch incrementally, but unfortunately that's not the case.
>
> And anyway, I think v2 of the GPL is good enough for us :)
>
> Joe
>
> On 6/30/07, Martin Poirier <theeth at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> --- Jean-Michel Smith <jean at jm-smith.com> wrote:
>>> As the GPL v3 is GPL v2 compatible,
>> Except that they aren't.
>>
>> """
>> When we say that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible, it
>> means there is no legal way to combine code under
>> GPLv2 with code under GPLv3 in a single program. This
>> is because both GPLv2 and GPLv3 are copyleft licenses:
>> each of them says, "If you include code under this
>> license in a larger program, the larger program must
>> be under this license too." There is no way to make
>> them compatible. We could add a GPLv2-compatibility
>> clause to GPLv3, but it wouldn't do the job, because
>> GPLv2 would need a similar clause.
>> """
>>
>> Third paragraph: http://gplv3.fsf.org/rms-why.html
>>

>> Martin