[Bf-committers] linux app icon proposal

Arne Schmitz arne.schmitz at gmx.net
Fri Nov 3 10:49:39 CET 2006

Am Freitag, 3. November 2006 06:44 schrieb Matt Ebb:
> We could just include the files in the build system so that they
> appear in the release archive, so people can copy them in themselves
> if they like, but it's a bit of a chore. Is there any easy system, or
> cross-distro/desktop method of making some sort of installation
> script, where you could doubleclick it, which then would set up a
> nice application menu item thingy and copy the icons to the right
> place on the system? Or is that not really possible in Linux these days?
>
> Any Linux gurus/maintainers have any advice here?

Everything concerning this topic can be found on [1]. For example [2]
describes the desktop entries, which make up menu entries in KDE and Gnome.
Also [3] describes where Desktop environments look for icons; see section
Directory Layout in that document. So if a blender.desktop file is included
and installed by the distribution and also an icon is put at the right place,
everything should be fine.

Arne

[1] http://freedesktop.org/
[2] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dentry_2dspec
[3] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/icon-theme-spec

--
Dipl.-Inform. Arne Schmitz              Phone   +49 (0)241 80-21817
Computer Graphics Group                 Fax     +49 (0)241 80-22899